Film Permit

For Assistance with Permits and Permit-Related Inquiries, Contact:

Jennifer West
Sacramento Film Commissioner
Phone: (916) 808-2676
Email: [email protected]

Sacramento Film + Media
New City Hall, 3rd Floor
915 I Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

Email Completed Applications to:

[email protected]

Hidden Accordian
Film Permit
  • All commercial filming in the City of Sacramento requires a film permit for both public and private property.
  • Filming on a sound stage does not require a film permit.
  • Sacramento Film + Media charges a permit fee of $100 for two consecutive weeks or 10 locations. With proof of non-profit status or student enrollment, films will receive a fee waiver.
  • Insurance is required for ALL productions, no matter how small.
  • Once all paperwork is received and if the shoot is simple and does not require parking, ITC, street closures, neighborhood notification, or pyrotechnics, permitting can usually be completed in three (3) business days. If any of the above are required by the various departments it can take up to ten (10) business days.

Links to Necessary Documents:

  1. Permit Application
Insurance Requirements
  • Submit Certificate of insurance showing at least one million dollars ($1 million) for General Liability.
  • Submit an additional insured endorsement for General Liability listing “The City of Sacramento, its officers, agents, officials, employees, and volunteers” as additional insureds.
  • Proof of Workers’ Compensation coverage along with a Waiver of Subrogation endorsement.
  • If Permittee has no employees, submit a Workers’ Compensation Exemption Letter.
  • Certificate Holder: City of Sacramento, 915 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814

Links to Necessary Documents:

  1. Sample Endorsement Page
  2. Sample Workers Compensation Waiver
  3. Insurance Companies for Low Budget Productions
Parking Request

Meter and Parking Space Reservation

  • You may reserve metered and un-metered parking spaces on a city street for your filming. If your street closure denies access to metered or un-metered parking spaces for an extended period, you will be required to reserve those parking spaces.
  • When parking spaces are reserved, “No Parking/Tow Away” signs will be posted a minimum of 72 hours in advance of filming.
  • The first posting (bagged meter or a-frame barricade with No Parking sign) is $50 and $5 for each additional posting, averaging 5 per city block.
  • Additionally, if the spaces you reserve are metered spaces, and the meters will be in service during the time of your reservation, you will be charged a lost revenue fee per meter. The application to reserve metered and un-metered parking spaces is available here. To find the meter numbers for your application, please use THIS MAP.
  • Please indicate on your permit application’s Location Description page that Parking is requested by checking the box and submitting a map of the spaces.
  • Applications submitted within 10 business days prior to the effective date may be subject to a $175 expedite fee.

Parking Garages and Parking Lots

  • Not all garages and lots are owned by the City of Sacramento so if you are unsure please contact the film office.
  • To request parking garage spaces or parking lot spaces please email Parking here. Include the address, date, times, access, approximate number of spaces, equipment, and a description of the scene summary.

Quick Links to Necessary Contacts:

  1. Application to Reserve Metered & Unmetered Parking Spaces
  2. Email to Reserve Parking Garage or Parking Lot Spaces
  3. Parking Meter Map
  4. Meter & Space Reservations
Police Support

Sacramento PD is required for any filming involving street closures, intermittent traffic control (ITC) or scenes involving simulated violence or prop weaponry use. If this applies to your shoot, be sure to check the box for “Street Closure”, “Intermittent Traffic Control” or “Simulated Violence” on your permit application’s Location Description page. A minimum of two (2) weeks notice is required to request an officer.

Please visit the PD Supplemental Employment page which provides costs and criteria to hire off-duty officers. This link will answer most questions for anyone looking to hire SPD.

Drone Filming

The drone operator must obtain all authorizations as required at the time from the FAA. You must submit a copy of the drone operator’s license, the drone certificate of registration, certificate of insurance, drone operator name and cell number to Sacramento Film + Media. The City of Sacramento does not have an official drone ordinance, but for safety reasons we require this information. It is important to note that Sacramento is in the vicinity of two major airports.

Neighborhood Notification/Film Notice Guidelines

Notification is required if filming includes one of more of the following:

  1. Street Closure: 2 block radius
  2. Amplified Sound: 2 block radius
  3. Simulated Violence: 2 block radius
  4. Pyrotechnics: 2 block radius
  5. Intermittent Traffic Control: 1 block

Film notices must be distributed 72 hours before the shoot date/time. Hand out the film notice during the day between 8am-8pm and by 6pm for businesses. For apartment buildings, leave a film notice near the call button using blue painter’s tape only. For businesses, go inside the business and leave the film notice with the on-site manager. For homes, roll up the film notice and leave it on the door handle, under the door mat, or tape with blue painter’s tape near the mailbox (if mailbox is near the front door). Do not place film notices into the mailboxes of residences or businesses. Do not tape or staple film notices onto poles along the sidewalks within the neighborhood. Notification must include phone numbers of the production and Sacramento Film + Media.

Links to Necessary Documents:

  1. Sample Notification
Sacramento County Filming

Sacramento County is made up of eight (8) jurisdictions who all have their own permitting requirements. They include:

  • Unincorporated Sacramento County
  • City of Sacramento
  • City of Folsom
  • City of Citrus Heights
  • City of Elk Grove
  • City of Galt
  • City of Rancho Cordova
  • City of Isleton

You can find contacts for these jurisdictions here. Sacramento Film + Media is happy to help you navigate these entities as well as answer any questions you might have.

California State Property Filming

In the Sacramento area there are many parks, buildings, properties, bridges, and roads owned by the State of California and therefore filming is permitted by the California Film Commission. Our office can help identify these locations; we are here to help.

Student Film Permitting

Sacramento Film + Media works with local film schools to assist students looking to film in the City of Sacramento. To be eligible for a student permit, applicants must be enrolled in a film production class at an accredited college-level institution. Student filmmakers must furnish student ID, a letter from an authorized class instructor on school letterhead declaring that the project is for educational, non-commercial purposes (Teacher Approval Letter), and provide the school’s Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement page. If your school is unable to provide you with the required general liability insurance coverage, you will need to ask for a quote from the city, inquire with Insurance Companies for Low Budget Productions, or ask your parents or insurer if the homeowner’s policy can add this coverage.

All paperwork must be submitted to Sacramento Film + Media no less than ten (10) business days prior to your first shoot date via e-mail to [email protected].

As a courtesy to students we do not charge a permit fee, however there may be fees associated with other permitting bodies within the city such as parking, road closures, and Sac PD. Student filmmakers are required to obtain a film permit for any project occurring on public or private property. Students will need to submit the following:

  1. Film Permit Application with the Film Production Name listed as “(Name of School) / (Name of Student)”. Make sure to use the school’s address on the Permit Application
  2. A copy of the student ID
  3. Certificate of Insurance and Endorsement Page
  4. Signed Workers Compensation Waiver
  5. Teacher Approval Letter

Links to Necessary Documents:

  1. Permit Application
  2. Insurance Companies for Low Budget Productions
  3. Sample Workers Compensation Waiver
  4. Sample Teacher Approval Letter
COVID-19 Requirements

As of June 15th, 2021:

There are currently no restrictions on filming in Sacramento County.

We ask that filmmakers follow all State of California and Sacramento County regulations and guidelines relating to workplace safety, as well as adhere to the film industry guidelines as described in the Return to Work Agreement.

COVID-19 testing is available at Stem Express and Molecular Matrix.


Click HERE to Download PDF